Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Welcome

More than 20 years ago I gave a lecture called Getting Paid to Think. The hypothesis was pretty simple -- an educational program in Philosophy was more beneficial to students than a more skill-based education such as Management of Information Systems, because skills are not what benefits an organization the most, ideas are, especially in a knowledge economy. While some companies pay a person to 'produce' (also known as 'Get Sh*t Done', or GSD) what good companies do is pay you to think.

Now, more than two decades later, a few of my ideas have changed as I've learned a thing or two...or three, but I still hold this same belief, and I'm still getting paid to think.

In the past I've tweeted things I've learned, and there have been a few followers who have said "I wish you would have more of this", so after a bit of a delay while I considered my options, I decided to set up this blog to explore a few of the things I've learned in two decades in the tech industry, and some things I'm still learning, some of which are undoubtedly skill-based. ;)

One last note to help my tweeple: when I add an entry related to a previous tweet, such as something tweeted as "Robert's Rule", I will include something in the post title to indicate the relationship...probably something simple such as [Tweeted as "Robert's Rule #n"].

Now, once more into the breach.

No comments:

Post a Comment