Friday, May 17, 2013

What I learned writing payment interfaces (The simple lessons)

In the words of a national treasure, "lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been". I've worked longer writing payment interfaces than any other job in my <insert large number here>-year career. In all, it's taught me a few simple lessons, each nuanced and containing more than a little detail.

The simple lessons
  • Think about your foundation, even when it's outside your domain
  • Think about how the code is used, not just the code
  • Think about how to manage risk
  • Think about how to go global
  • Think about how to reduce cognitive overhead
Looking back, it seems that I've been working in a field that previously was inhabited by designers and graphic artists who learned a few engineering techniques. That is increasingly changing as more engineers move into the field, but we're still learning that a visually pleasing design is nice and multiple dynamic interactions can be cool, but it takes more to engage people – it takes a better product. We can build those better products together, but we all have to learn a few lessons first.

We're happier with products that we can feel proud about creating, and owning - products that not only meet a need, but are crafted with care in the tradition of the artisans of old. More importantly, products we’re happier with are products our users are likely to be happier with, and happy customers means more conversion.

If you've read all the "What I learned writing payment interfaces" entries, thanks making this long, strange trip with me. I felt the original presentation was a little rushed - 15 minutes wasn't long enough, but hopefully those in attendance went away with something more than what they came with - just as I hope you are able to see something more than what you saw before.

Now, if you'd like to enjoy a short musical interlude, here's a national treasure - enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment