Monday, March 5, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the weal or woe of a tale is in the ear of the listener (Robert's Rule #9)

[Tweeted 2011-05-06]

I'm not the best designer...I do OK, but I'm certainly not the best. I can say that without regret or remorse or any sense of self-deprecation...it's an honest, realistic analysis, and one that comes after quite a bit of study and practice.

I spent several years in secondary school taking art classes as electives and have sketched live models, created my share of ceramics, and even painted a 5 meter mural for the school, and of course there were the (nearly obligatory) art appreciation courses. After all that, I'm familiar with a color wheel and perspective and how form should follow function. I still don't consider myself the best designer or artist. I'm just not that interested in it. I guess you might say it's a little like how most people experience music. They may play a couple of musical instruments and enjoy listening to music while they're in the car or cranking out some serious code, but they're not going to be anyone's rock god...ever.

From that being said, however, it should be relatively easy to see that I have a mildly educated palate when it comes to artistic pursuits, and I know what I like and sometimes I know what others like...but not always. I've had some people request designs that made little (or no) sense to me and I'm sure an inverse of that situation has applied at various points...and we have a saying, that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", that seemingly covers this difference in taste.

One day I was interviewing for a position at an advertising firm. In describing the position, they told a tale that had baffled and even discouraged some candidates. When asked for my input, I responded that this appeared to me to be an opportunity, and by addressing it in a specific way they could easily turn the situation around. (I even described the pseudo-code necessary to address the situation, which in hindsight may not have been the best idea...I perhaps should have waited for the job offer first...but, lesson learned.)

That situation, and a few others like it, have led me to amend the idiomatic expression in what is my ninth rule, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the weal or woe of a tale is in the ear of the listener (Robert's Rule #9). Not everyone will hear the woe in your tragedies, nor will everyone hear the joy in your celebrations. Just as you wouldn't expect everyone to appreciate Picasso or Dali as you do, don't expect them to appreciate a story as you do, even if that story is a major career event.

No comments:

Post a Comment